CITY DIARY - Athens 2017

travel to Athens after a year ( see the photo diary from last year:  CITY DIARY - Athens 2016 )


CITY DIARY - ATHENS 2017



  • DAY ONE - Glyfada 
  • DAY TWO - Cape Sounion


Travel is a kind of transformation or even transcendence ... I am practicing this aproach since many years and in different ways  ( travels and adventures ) ... first as a literary and philosophical approach  and in the last years as a visual / photographic investigation ... storytelling, travel and photography are ultimately and deeply interconnected ... I would formulate more  thoroughly and concisely my thoughts about this topic in another place ...


here is the digital photographic itinerary of my journey to Greece on Automn 2017. The digital snapshots are taken with a NIKON1 J4 camera and two Nikon lenses 10mm and 18.5 mm occasionaly I used an iPhone ... it is just a first or raw form not finished and not final. I just put more and more snapshot as the travel evolves ... I would try to give a more "narrative form" afterwards ... keep on following ...

... the analog itinerary would follow as soon as I would be back develop and scan the negatives  ... I used various films with three cameras:

  • Zeiss Ikoflex Favorit ( 6x6 ) 75mm lens
  • Nikon FM2, Nikkor f1.2 50mm and Nikkor f3.5 28mm PC lenses
  • Mb612 - multiformat pinhole camera ( 6x6, 6x9, 6x12 )




packing the essentials for a three weeks trip to Greece ...

DAY ONE - Glyfada 


fly day ... we arrived quite early and immediately after the check in a took a walk at the beach ... the cold and gray nordic atmosphere of  Hamburg gave place to a warm mediterranean feeling  ... for most of the shots I used the wide agle lens ( 10mm cor. to 27mm  - crop factor 2.72 )


the first emotions were ruther dramatic or even negative: a sence of loneliness, forgetfulness, decay or even devastation ... the financial and social crisis is also a cultural one ... there are a lot of visible traces ... but my intention is not to do a documentary but art ...



























Aigina in the background


some vertical compositions























DAY TWO - CAPE SOUNION

In the second day we rend a car and we made a pleasant excursion to the south part of Attica up to Cape Sounion ... the main goal was just to relax, swim and be in contact with this unique landscape ... I dont wanted to reprduce one of the billions images of Cape Sounion and so I tried my own way. 

A few hundent meter from the Poseidon Temple there are some modern ruins, hotels, residence houses and a little chapel. So I used them as a scenery for my narration / investigation ... the light was perfect ... 























































































Comments

Popular Posts